Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Friends of the Desert Mountains!
Volunteers are very important in our work to support the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument and to preserve open space lands in and around the Coachella Valley. Our volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Here’s How It Happens!
We have fun, exciting, and rewarding ways you can help. Let us know how you’d like to get involved.
To see a list of upcoming events, click here.
Contact us by email, phone, mail, or fax. Our Director of Volunteer Services will contact you to talk about your interests and our needs. (Additional screening will be required for volunteers involved in the education and school programs.)
Phone: (760) 862-9084
Fax: (760) 346-3246
Mail: Friends of the Desert Mountains, P.O. Box 1281, Palm Desert, CA 92261-1281
Want to fill out a Volunteer Application?
Go to the Volunteer Application page to your left.
How You Can Help:
Stewardship and Lands Monitoring
- Lead interpretive walks on the short nature trail at the National Monument Visitor Center.
- Become a trained guide for our Thursday/Saturday hiking program at the National Monument.
- Help with invasive plant cleanup and habitat restoration projects in the National Monument and other natural areas.
- Monitor plant and animal species native to the Monument.
Visitor and Operational Services
- Greet visitors to the National Monument Visitor Center, provide suggestions on hikes and other sites in the Monument, explain the programs and services available, and give information on local attractions in the valley.
- Provide hospitality services at public programs and events at the Visitor Center: greet visitors, provide refreshments, assist with parking and directions, help set up and tear down presentation area.
- Assist with data entry and other computer-related tasks (computer skills required).
- Assist with administrative tasks; help assemble mailings and do various clerical tasks (no computer skills required).
- Assist with grant research or grant writing, which bring in funds for our critical mission.
- Attend fundraising events and help as needed.
- Staff a shift at our Gift Shop at the National Monument Visitor Center, selling items and giving information to visitors.
Education and Outreach
- Teach environmental education lessons in the schools and lead educational field trips.
- Teach evironmental education, wildlife appreciation, Coachella Valley History and much more with our Jr. Trail Guides Program.
- Contribute articles or photos or your talents in graphic design to our quarterly newsletter, or for use in our educational and promotional materials.
- Distribute event flyers and other materials to various information centers.
- Help to solicit and schedule presentations to community groups.
- Attend events and hand out outreach materials and information to attendees.
Volunteering has its benefits:
- Field trips to unique and beautiful wild places we save
- Parties and volunteer recognition events
- Uniform shirt and name tag
- Volunteer-only newsletter
- Training and educational opportunities in the National Monument and beyond
- And other fun rewards and experiences!